Mandatory minimums, three-strike rules and other similar laws were created to strengthen the “justice” system and make us safer — but have they done the opposite?
In this episode of “Ashes Ashes,” we interview newly minted activists working to free a man caught up in this system and explore in detail the how’s and why’s of this tragedy of justice.
- 04:18 Disparities in Sentencing
- 13:26 Justice for Willie Simmons
- 29:10 Interview Takeaway
- 31:01 The ones who get away with it
- 42:05 Mandatory Sentencing and Unintended Consequences
- 01:09:08 We live in a bullshit society
- 01:18:21 Why do prisons exist? Reading from Ruth Wilson Gilmore
- 01:30:21 “Justice” versus Justice: What can we do
From the Show
The views expressed in this post are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect Fair Observer’s editorial policy.