Fair Observer contains links to other sites and we are not responsible for the privacy practices or content of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
Fair Observer gathers information about its users mainly to enhance their experience on the site and on email newsletters. This information is used to bring you content that is relevant to your interests. Additionally, Fair Observer, along with our advertising partners, gather information about you anonymously to provide you with more targeted advertising messages that are catered to your location and interests. You can opt out of information gathering for advertising purposes below.
Personal Information/ Information You Directly Provide To Fair Observer:
When registering, commenting, or signing up for newsletters, you may provide Fair Observer with personal information, including but not limited to:
· Personal contact information (name, zip code, e-mail address, phone numbers)
· User names (including social media user names)
· Correspondence with Fair Observer staff
· Billing Information (for paid Fair Observer products)
You are not required to provide Fair Observer with any personal information in order to use the site. All information that is collected is the sole property of the site, and that information is not distributed outside of the site unless required by law.
Non-Personal Information Automatically Collected
This type of information is collected anonymously through the use of tracking technology using third-party cookies, web beacons, and other similar methods. No Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is collected through this methodology. This information may include, but is not limited to:
· Hardware/software information (geographic location, IP address, browser type, device type, operating system, bandwidth, etc.)
· Analytics information (time spent on site, number of pages viewed, referring web page, browsing information, etc.)
· Advertising information (type of ads seen, number of times ads were served, pages where the ads were served)
· Information collected through HTML cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies.
Information Collected Through Third-Party Sources
This type of information is collected anonymously by approved third-party partners (such as online marketing firms, research companies, social media companies, ad targeting firms, and other partners). None of the information collected by these sources contains any PII. This type of information includes but is not limited to:
· Demographic information (gender, age, HHI, job title, interests, etc.)
· Advertising information (clicks, interactions, post-impression performance data)
· Social networking information (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
· Research information (data collected from partners such as Nielsen, Comscore, Quantcast, etc.)
What Is Done With The Collected Information?
Site Content: Fair Observer partners with other companies to provide you with content that is relevant and personalized to your reading interests. You can read our partners’ websites for their privacy policies.
Email Communications: Fair Observer may use the information that you submit to send you email communications, such as newsletters, breaking news, information about the site, alerts, and promotional messages from advertising partners.
Site Analysis: Fair Observer uses the information collected through third-party sources to learn and analyze how the site is used. We use this information to enhance the site by making improvements based on the data collected.
Advertising: Display Ads are delivered from our adserver, Open AdSream, powered by WPP’s Real Media Group. At times third-party information is used to deliver targeted ads to you, your location, and your interests. We also use Third-Party Ad Platforms (such as Google AdSense and Pubmatic) to deliver ads on our site. No PII is exchanged with any type of advertising message on Fair observer.
How We Share Information Collected?
There are very few specific circumstances when your information is shared outside of the company, these circumstances include but are not limited to:
· If you comment or use the Facebook app on Fair observer, the information you submit (including your social media user name, etc) is viewable to the public.
· Fair Observer may need to disclose personal information to comply with a judicial proceeding, a court order, or any other legal process.
· We employ third-party services to distribute email newsletters and these third-parties have access to specific information only for the purposes of fulfilling contracts on our behalf.
· In the event Fair Observer goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of a portion of its assets, users' personal information will, in most instances, be part of the assets transferred.
Fair Observer does not allow any third-party company to use your email address for commercial purposes without your expressed permission. We will send you newsletter communications, partner sponsorship messages, account alerts, and any other emails you have requested to receive. If you would like to opt-out of any specific newsletters or mailings, please login to your profile to change your newsletter settings.
Children Under 13: Fair Observer does not knowingly target adverting to, or collect information from children under the age of 13.
Security: Fair Observer uses all reasonable means to safeguard data against unauthorized use and theft.
A cookie (otherwise known as an HTTP cookie) is a small piece of code which can be sent from a web site or banner ad and stored on a user’s web browser. The cookie stores data such as preferences, previous activity, and other information. For more information on HTTP cookies and other online advertising definitions please visit the IAB’s web site.